Meet our Board of Advisors
The Cannabinoid Medicine Studies Advisory Board is committed to providing expert input and oversight over all CMS activities involving scientific and or medical professional related content. Our select group of the nation’s most disruptive and respected individuals focus on ensuring the relevance and accuracy of all education provided.
Meet James Polston, Ph.D.
Dr. Polston has a doctorate in Neuroscience and Experimental Therapeutics and also holds an advanced degree in Medical Ethics. He is currently the Chief Science Officer of Helius Therapeutics in Auckland, New Zealand, the largest medical cannabis provider in the region.
Formerly the Extraction and Processing Manager at US cannabis company Trulieve (market cap 2.0b), where he also managed all of their external research efforts. Prior to this role was the Processing Manager for US cannabis company Curaleaf (market cap 4.7b) in Oregon. Dr. Polston is also the founder of Emerald Coast Research, a consulting and cannabis research company, based in the United States. Dr. Polston has studied plant-based therapeutics for the last fifteen years and has led numerous research efforts over the last decade, including investigation and publication with the US Director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse.
Meet Dr. Jazmin Oliver, M.D.
Jazmin realized the new and ever changing industry still has a lot of growing to do. She founded Cannabis Science Consultants in Denver, Colorado to elevate industry standards and bring science based education, quality and safety to cannabis laboratories.
Meet Dr. Orion Lekos, Ph.D.
Orion is a green entrepreneur and engineer. He enjoys commercializing technology based on nature. His areas of expertise for engineering and research include extraction of valuable phytochemicals from plants, renewable energy, water, biomass derived chemicals, and utilizing micro-organisms.
Specialties: Technology Commercialization, Project Management, Grant Writing and Fundraising, ISO 1400 Environmental Management, Life Cycle Analysis, Permitting, Industrial Plant Design, Plant Commissioning, Green Chemical Design,GMP, Troubleshooting, Biological Transmutation of Elements, Research and Development.
Meet Dr. Alvin Berger, MS, Ph.D.
• Discoveries in lipid research. Academic/industrial expert on lipids including marine-, animal-, & plant fatty acids, phospholipids, sphingolipids, gangliosides, plant sterols. Publications on carbohydrates, proteins, antioxidants
• Experience with various health and disease states (heart, cognition, skin, bone, diabetes, autoimmunity, inflammation). Experience with human, animal and fish husbandry, companion animal health
• Ability to include novel endpoints in research, such as omics
• Numerous scientific papers, reviews, white papers, patents
• Editor of scientific journals
• Heading up nutrition-, lipid-, analytical-, intellectual property-, metabolomic-, biochemistry teams in start-ups and multi-nationals
• Development of scientific programs (in vitro, animal, clinical trial approaches) & science-driven marketing.
• Product- pipeline development, commercialization, & successful launching in food, supplement, drug, diagnostic spaces
• Extensive project management, marketing, scientific/product sales, intellectual property skills
• Scientific, nutritional, and biochemical support for: due-diligence; vetting ideas, business plans, and IP strategy; mergers and acquisitions; joint ventures, and investments
• Strategic planning & out-of-the-box thinking
• Team player, with close working relations to diverse teams: QA/QC, procurement, purchasing, IP, business leaders
• Communicate complex ideas to lay, business, scientific audiences
• Excellent at science-drive sales & closing sales
• Grant/ proposal reviewing & writing
• Industry, government, academic Boards
• Consulting for private companies & government agencies
• Adjunct Professor at two Universities
• Huge international network; easy reach-out to decision makers
Medium Chain Triglycerides improve bioavailability of CBD. CBD Health and Wellness Magazine, 5/4/20
McColby C. 2020. "From chocolate to cannabinoids: A conversation with Alvin Berger, PhD."CBD Health and Wellness Magazine April/May 2020, p. 34-37